How does the novel coronavirus spread?
Though there is no proof of the perfect method, how does a virus spread, but it has been assumed that mainly the virus spreads through person to person contact. Like common cold and flu, a person starts falling sick after coming into close contact with an infected human. As per several research pieces, it has been proved that the virus starts spreading through respiratory droplets produced by an infected person through coughing and sneezing. The virus can also spread by touching surfaces.
Signs and symptoms of coronavirus
Some of the common symptoms of confirmed Covid19 cases include cough, fever, and shortness of breath. It has been known that severity has been ranged from mild people to people being severely ill. It seems the virus has been spreading quickly and has infected a large group of people known as the community covered in some geographic areas. Ideally, community spread, indicates people have been infected with coronavirus in a field.
Some signs of covid19 are :
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
How can you protect yourself from the coronavirus?
If you want to protect yourself from contracting the deadly virus, you can follow some techniques:
- You should avoid coming into contact with people who are sick.
- You should frequently wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. In case soap and water aren't available, you should wash your hands with alcohol-based hand rub.
- It would be best if you didn't touch your nose, eyes, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Always use a tissue to cover your sneeze or cough, and then wash your hands after removing the tissue in the trash. In case a piece of fabric isn't available, don't use your hands instead of sneeze or cough with your upper sleeve or elbow.
- You should frequently clean and disinfect the surfaces and objects touched.
How to stay prepared for coronavirus?
With the number of cases rising to 9.91 million (+22,065) towards the end of 2020, it is vital to be prepared for the worst. So the best way to be ready is by having a health insurance policy. Many people have a question that if they have a health insurance policy, will it cover covid19?
Coronavirus Health Insurance
When it comes to health insurance cover for covid19, there is an individual health insurance policy known as coronavirus health insurance. Ideally, this policy covers the medical expenses incurred on the treatment of the novel coronavirus. Personal health insurance is included to cover hospitalization costs of the insured regardless of the disease he or she is diagnosed with. The exceptional case is a critical illness that isn't covered under the plan.
The majority of the insurance plans will cover hospitalization expenses incurred on the treatment of viral infections, including covid19. As the covid19 is also termed a viral infection, so almost all health insurance covers the hospitalization expenses, including both in and outpatient expenses, incurred on the treatment of Covid19.
The insurance plan for covid19 is ideally made available from the day the insured is diagnosed positive for the disease. All insurance providers commonly do this as covid19 is a new disease and doesn't fall into any pre-existing illness category.
Coverage offered under the covid19 health insurance cover
- Pre hospitalization expenses
- Critical illness hospitalization
- Inpatient hospitalization expenses
- Daycare procedures
- Accidental hospitalization
- ICU room expenses
- Ambulance expense
- Daily hospital expenses in cash
- Organ donor expenses
- Post hospitalization expenses
- Home hospitalization expenses
- Recovery benefit
- Alternative treatment expense
Under coronavirus health insurance cover, there is an add-on plan offered where maternity benefit is provided and a new baby cover.
Things not covered under covid19 health insurance
The coronavirus health insurance policy doesn't cover all expenses. Some of the costs not included are :
- Home Quarantine- The plan doesn't cover any expenses the insurer incurs while staying at home in quarantine.
- Unrecognized quarantine centers- If you are taking treatments at unrecognized quarantine centers, the medical expenses incurred will not be covered under any policy.
- Pre-existing diseases- the medical expenses incurred on treating any conditions except coronavirus won't be covered under the policy until the waiting period gets over.
- Prenatal and postnatal expenses- The coronavirus health insurance plan will not cover both pre and postnatal expenditures incurred by the policyholder unless it results in hospitalization.
- Hospitalization without a medical practitioner's recommendation- The policy will not cover the medical expenses incurred by the insured if he or she gets hospitalized without any guidance from qualified personnel.
How to claim health insurance for the novel coronavirus?
There are two ways to claim the insurance amount, including :
- Cashless claims- Many insurance providers currently provide cashless treatment options. As part of this feature, the insured can be stress-free as he or she doesn't have to pay anything for the treatment taken at any of the network hospitals of the insurer. Instead, the claim is settled by the insured directly.
- So if you are infected with the disease, you don't need to worry as you can be prepared by finding out the hospital that falls under the insurer's network list so you can get cashless treatment. You don't have to make any payment for the treatment given.
Ensure your health insurer offers a cashless claim facility.
- Reimbursement claims for covid19- Ideally, the reimbursements claims are perfect for insured who opt to get hospitalized and receive treatment in unrecognized hospital. You will be required to pay all the hospital costs in full and final amount when you get discharged if you fail to obtain treatment at a network hospital of the insured.
After you are discharged, you can file a reimbursement claim with the insurance provider. To get the reimbursement amount, you have to fill a form for reimbursement claim and submit the required documents along with the form. The records include investigation and test reports, hospital bill payment receipts, and doctor's prescription.
The form and the required documents have to be submitted within a specific period. Post submission, the insurance will verify the claim and reimburse the amount in your bank account.
Thus you don't have to fear the virus if you are well prepared.